Thursday, January 9, 2014

Ten-minute Jump Rope HIIT #fail


Not even kidding. Sometimes you have good intentions and that just doesn't matter.

My youngest daughter observed today, "You have lots of exercise stuff." Yes, she is right. I didn't realize quite much much I had accumulated. So, I found my jump rope in the garage and started hunting for YouTube Jump Rope videos. Some gal named Sara Solomon had some videos out there. Now, I did NOT know that this particular gal actually has a jump rope named after her... so probably this was just a bad idea...

Boy, was I right! I put on the monitor, put mats down in my living room with vaulted ceiling, and set up the laptop. Three minutes later, I was sitting down thinking I was just totally uncoordinated! Don't get me wrong, I am decent with a jump rope. But, this girl was insane! Speed roping is too hard core for me.

But, I did not give up!

So, I put the rope away and grabbed these handy hand weights. I remembered when I went to Contours a few years ago that they had jump rope handles that just had the ropes about a foot or so long coming off the handle and tied in a knot (I think I have some that I made at home someplace). So, I figured I'd take these 3 pound weights and hold them like jump rope handles and try to do this workout.



This review isn't going to list the like/concerns like normal because I had to modify that whole program. I went as fast as I could, which probably wasn't as fast as her. And, I didn't actually jump over a rope. But, I did hold my weights like jump ropes and do the whole 10 minute workout and here's my numbers:


You can't argue those numbers! So, it was still pretty effective. And, holding the handles like I would a jump rope made my arms super sore. During the break intervals, I'd have to put my arms above my head sometimes because my shoulders hurt. She did say 10 minutes of jump rope is equivalent to 30 minutes on the treadmill. And, if I did it like her, probably so! But, I did my best and it wasn't a total fail. I did use a gymnastics mat under my feet to take the pressure off my knees with that much jumping (highly suggest you do that if you have a mat).

So, take a look. Maybe you are a magical jump rope fairy. I'm not. But, I am going to try an easier workout now... headed to the cold garage to do this on the concrete! :)

Here's the video-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sitJ3UdYDjY

No comments:

Post a Comment