Monday, January 6, 2014

Jillian Michaels Kickbox Workout

Well, I got up this morning and did T25 Day 1 with my husband. It's a snow day, so no school for me! And, that typically means I make a yummy breakfast for the kiddos (which included chocolate cinnamon rolls... oh man... yum... and I held back and only ate one, but it was big). And, I felt like that meant I needed another morning workout to work some of that off!

So, I decided to try Jillian Michaels Kickbox Workout online. It is posted here--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9avonsRVok on the ChannelFitnessVideos YouTube page. The video is 25 minutes long.

Things I Liked:
  • It was a good workout, but not as tough as some of the workouts I've done. It was nothing compared to the T25 workout this morning! But, I am not quite as sweaty as I might normally like to be. If you aren't used to doing cardio, though, this is probably an ideal paced workout.
  • I watched this video with no audio (was watching a show on my Amazon Prime side by side on the computer) and it was easy to follow.
  • Most of the reps are in 20s (or 10 per side) except for speed punches, jump ropes, and jumping jacks. So, you can count reps most of the time and don't have to watch the video continuously. This makes this a good video if you want to watch something else at the same time.
  • There was a four kick sequence I really liked. The exercises were not complicated at all.
Concerns:
  • Concerns might be a strong word, but Jillian seemed drunk or something! Seriously, she was acting odd. The first minute I listened to her and she just seemed strange to me. So, I muted her. 
  • The last few minutes are a bit slow. Of course, part of that is cool down. You get about 20 minutes of good, solid workout.
  • Though it's kickboxing, there is not much boxing other than speed punches. Upper body is a very small focus. There are a few push-ups towards the end, but otherwise, it is mostly legs.
Recommend? Yes, for most people. If you are really super fit, it might not be for you. I think for someone starting out, it would be a good challenge for getting the heart rate up, but there is quite a bit of jumping (jumping jacks and jump ropes) so this might be a bad option for anyone with knee issues. There are no modifiers given.

No comments:

Post a Comment