Wednesday, January 8, 2014

CrossFit Workout by FitSugar

I know CrossFit is all the rage. I hear people constantly talking about the WOD they did at 5 AM and so forth. So, when this online workout showed up on FitSugar, I figured I would give it a go.

 Let me first say that I know people who swear by CrossFit. They love it. They'd tell you to join and come and do it. And, I think the fact that most places that train with it have classes every hour of the day probably makes this appealing for many. Why am I NOT interested? Well, first, I don't like to have to leave my house to work out. You've seen that I have invested in a good amount of equipment (I have free weights, exercise ball, stationary bike, treadmill, punching bag, Wii, and a million YouTube workouts) and I never have an excuse NOT to work out. I don't know that I have the commitment to "go someplace" each day. And, I feel like driving someplace just wastes time that I could be working out. Why WOULD I be interested? I don't have a weight bench with heavy weights. I love to do dead lifts, for example, and I can't do that stuff at home. And, I think doing one of those crazy obstacle course workouts would be fun and those gyms could probably train me for it. Most of my friends who want me to join a gym say it's for the classes. I think most people (who actually commit and go) are probably there for the camaraderie thing. And, I am relatively anti-social, so I pass.

 But, I digress. The workout!

What I Liked:

  • It's short... um... not much I liked honestly. That's not a diss to CrossFit, but more to the video itself. 
  • It does show an easy, medium, and hard version of each exercise. 
  • It's probably a pretty good toning workout. My heart rate average was 127, so not as high as I would like for a cardio workout, but not bad. I did max at 160.


Concerns:

  • It starts slow. I didn't even start my heart rate monitor until we went the the floor for push-ups. So, my total time was just at 9 minutes. That's too short for me.  I think you'd have to do it a few times, and I was too bored to do it again.
  • The warm-up interval was pretty darn boring--5 pushups, 10 situps, 15 squats. The main workout interval was also pretty boring-- burpees (gag... but a good heart rate thing), grashhoppers (which for some reason my body didn't seem to twist right to do), and alternating lunges.


Recommend? Not really. I guess it depends on what you are looking for in a workout. I was just bored. There was too much standing around at the beginning and though the heart rate did get up, I feel like it just wasn't enough of a workout. What happened was pretty effective, but I just think I could burn calories in a happier way. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment