Monday, January 6, 2014

Cardio Extreme 10 min workout

Well, I went out to eat and decided to throw one more quick workout in for today before I went to bed. This time, I found a series of workouts called "30 Day Fat Burn" from the Lionsgate BeFit YouTube channel.  I think this is the first workout in the series as it was just posted this week and the reviews are all from this past week. So, we'll see if they post more in the series (or how often).  The playlist is supposed to be posted here-->  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1c41tQdiDhPkUERLFje9twkoHtPkWr1lThis particular workout is 10 minutes and requires hand weights. Here is day one:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9rSPm-6s94&feature=c4-overview-vl&list=PL06F7D4D05FE22F9F

I found this to be an enjoyable workout. It was essentially 7 exercises, 20 reps each, using the weights and then a cardio boost at the end for about 2 minutes or so. I would imagine they probably expect you to use 3-5 pound aerobic weights, but all I had upstairs (hubby was downstairs watching football) were my 10-pound weights. So, I wasn't able to do a few of the exercises properly due to the weights being too heavy for that particular tasks. But, I did what I could do to modify it for a heavier weight.

What I Liked:

  • This is another workout that doesn't require audio to do. You can watch it and follow along since it's a set number of reps. 
  • The cardio burst at the end was nice. You drop the weights and do some jumping. I didn't have shoes on, and probably needed them for this part at the end, though. 
  • This was mostly an upper-body workout and I believe strength training is very important. So, you are getting some level of cardio burn and you are working out your upper body. 
  • It's super short (my favorite thing!) but that means you need to work twice as hard!
Concerns:
  • There is a multiple muscle focus on this (which I prefer) and that might be a bit much for someone new to working out. You do lunges while doing something with your arms, so you work arms and legs at the same time. If you are new to this, perhaps try it the first time without actually holding weights and then if you get the footwork down, add that in next time.
  • I put my heart rate monitor on for this workout. For the 10 minutes, my average was 125 bpm with max of 153. That's okay. I'm pushing 40 years old, so to get to the aerobic zone, I need to be 130 or higher and I was not for this workout sequence. But, I feel the weights/muscle building was the trade-off. Here's a sample heart rate chart in case you are curious about that stuff:

Recommend? Yes! I really enjoyed this workout. Even though my heart rate didn't get up, I loved the strength part. And, during the cardio burst at the end, it was up there where it needed to be. It might be good to do something else cardio first to warm up and get the heart rate up before starting. And, there is not really any warm up or cool down, so you may have sore arms the next day if you don't think to stretch.


No comments:

Post a Comment