Saturday, January 11, 2014

Denise Austin-Cardio Burn Weight Training

Two years ago, I got up and did aerobics every morning (last year, I ran on the treadmill each morning). And, when I did, I had an onDemand option for FitTV, which was cool. I found several workouts on there that were pretty good and rotated between them. Well, this morning after I got off the treadmill, I decided to look for a cardio weights workout, and here was this workout that I used to do! I was pretty excited. I know she's been around awhile, but her soothing voice and pleasant demeanor always puts me in a good mood. The video is here-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqsZxPwKBSM

You will need weights for this workout. I used 5 pound weights and 10 pound weights. For certain moves, I could not do the 10 pounds, but I'd say I used it for about half of the workout. It really depends on how strong your upper body is. Do what you can manage but isn't easy. If you are new to this stuff, maybe try 3 pound weights or start with some canned goods.

<--My weights! :)


The point of the workout is to strengthen while also toning AND getting the heart rate up. That's tough to do with most toning exercises. But, she also keeps it fun. The exercise moves are not real simple (my daughter wanted to work out with me and quit after the first combo) so it might take a few times to feel comfortable with it.

What I Enjoyed:

  • Good length--20 minutes. Nice for a quick morning workout!
  • Good cardio! My heart rate average was 135 bpm with max of 154 bpm.
  • Low impact! That's something that was really nice. No jumping or running on this workout. And, if you really do the exercises (don't hold back, squat deep, and use weights) it is a great cardio workout as well. 
  • Denise. I like her. I mean, maybe it's because that's my middle name... but still. She has so many good videos for all fitness levels and she always soothes me. 

Concerns:
  • You need weights to do this, so if you are working out at home and don't have any, you might need to get some. If you are starting out, try some green beans or something in a can. 
  • Caution-- If you have problems with your wrists or shoulders, this might not work for you. There is a very short segment of floor work (planks, one-armed stuff) and you are lifting all the way through. You might could try it anyway and just not use any weights, but not sure if you will get the cardio burn you want. Still, you'll get a good leg/toning workout from it.
  • There is lots of lunging and some squatting. It's a little rough on your knees, so be careful if you have any knee issues.
  • Most of this is combo moves and you have to be stepping or lunging one direction while also moving your arms. That might be challenging at first.
Recommend? YES! Do it today! Seriously, if you haven't been doing some strength training in your workout regiment today, please give this a shot. It's just 20 minutes. You have time. GO! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment