Sunday, January 5, 2014

Boxing Workout

So, today I decided to head to the basement since it's freezing cold outside and try to figure out what to do with the heavy bag we have down there. I don't really do boxing. I guess I need some lessons. So, I decided to do a little YouTube research. And, I found a few videos that showed some form and some ideas for punches. So, I did that for about 10 minutes and decided I wanted something already put together and structured. I ran across this boxing workout (it doesn't require any equipment) from Sneak Punch.  It was short (which I like) and I decided to pop on my heart rate monitor and see how hard it made me work. The video was here-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca1vygb2b5s



What I Liked:

  • It was short; about 12 minutes of active workout and then around 2 minutes of a cool down. So, done in 15 minutes. If you wanted to be sure to get a full 20 minute workout in, I'd suggest maybe running for 5 minutes before you start just to loosen up your muscles or do some jumping jacks or jump ropes. Or, do that afterward.
  • For the 12 minutes of active time, I kept my data on the heart rate monitor. My heart rate average was 136 bpm and high was 169. I felt that was pretty good considering the first two minutes were a warmup and there was a 30 second rest period between each of the four rounds. 
  • He divided the workout into warmup, 4 rounds, and cool down. So, you went hard and then had a short break between each interval. That's good for your metabolism as well; going up and down in heart rate is supposedly more effective for burning fat. True story.
Concerns:
  • It had many punching sequences. That's cool for me, but for some people, it might be hard to learn them quick enough to do them since the intervals are short. 
  • It says no equipment, but I used a mat (since I was on a hard basement floor) for two exercises, crunches with punches and the push up hops. I did those on my knees and had to have some padding. So if you aren't on carpet, you will need a pad or pillow. 
  • If you are lazy with the workout, you might not get the full burn. Punching requires you to really go hard, keep your arms up, and put some effort into it (especially when you do speed punches at the end of each round... you have to really try to burn out!). Just going through the motions and moving your arms isn't going to give you adequate burn. So, if you do it, focus on doing it RIGHT. :)
Recommend? YES! It's short and effective. I think it might be a good one to repeat after a drink break and bringing your heart rate back down. I did some "line drills" after the workout after I felt good and warm and went back to the bag a little bit. 



No comments:

Post a Comment