Saturday, March 22, 2014

At Home Cardio HIIT @fitnessblender

Well, it's Saturday and I like to try something new on the weekend. I often do Fitness Blender workouts, though I rarely post on them. So, I figured I'd try a new one today. 

Most of their workouts have one single person standing there doing the workout and narrative feedback saying what to do as a voiceover (with a 5 second countdown at the end of an exercise). It's nothing fancy, no music, etc. But, that makes most of their workouts good for using while doing other things (like watching TV). 

Today, I did the At Home High Intensity Interval Training Cardio HIIT Workout from here:

It was  a very good workout! And, only 25 minutes.  My average heart rate was 150 bpm, which is awesome for a non-running workout (though you do have to run in place and do tons of butt kickers, so I guess you are technically running... but you know what I mean).  This one is for sure going on my tablet for when I am out of town and need a workout for my hotel room.

It's a bit repetitive. There is a cardio warmup and then a period of HIIT intervals that is basically just three exercises for one minute each. You do them twice through, have a period of active rest, and then you do it all again. Those three main exercises are very effective, though. It is not low impact; you do have to jump and run in place, so it might not be for everyone. But, it's a good cardio burn!

  • Burpees with a leg raise instead of jump at the end
  • Flutter kicks to a squat (LOVED this exercise!)
  • Butt kickers (and I admit, I couldn't do that for one full minute.. ouch on the knees... so I did it for as long as I could and then just did standard jump rope jumps)

I dig this workout! If you don't have anything going on this morning, give it a try. Better yet, do it while watching some NCAA Tournament Basketball!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment